Monday, September 10, 2012

Fresh Figs Topped with Bleu d'Aoste, Balsamic & Caramelized Onions

I really need to stop making posts about using seasonal foods right when they are going out of season.  But this is too good to not share!  My excuse is that I was busy eating and creating recipes like the one below, and not writing.



Earlier this summer, I had what felt like a stroke of genius while making homemade pizza.  Caramelized onions, figs, and bleu d'Aoste cheese.  It was unbelievably good, and I recommend trying it.  However, when I took the next step, by combing those ingredients without the pizza and adding in a drizzle of 12 year old balsamic, I knew I found a winner.  Simple, elegant, seasonal, and delicious!  I use 'bleu d'Aoste' made by my neighbors (of the raw milk vending machine fame), and it is mind-blowingly good.  Somewhat strong, but not stinky, and a nice balance of sweetness and 'blue' cheese taste.    This should work with any good quality, sweet blue cheese. 

Ingredients:
4 fresh figs
1 yellow onion
pinch of salt
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
a few slices of a good quality, 'sweet' blue cheese like Bleu d'Aoste
good quality, aged balsamic vinegar  



First, caramelize your onions.  This will take 30-40 minutes.  Thinly slice your onion, sprinkle a little bit of salt over it, and let it sit for a few minutes. 

Melt butter in a skillet over low heat, add olive oil, and throw in the onion slices.  Stir often over low heat, so as to not let the onions burn.  This is what the onions will look like as they cook:



Almost done at this point

These are done!

Now slice your figs in half, put a thin slice of blue cheese on the open sides of the figs, and pile a little bit of your caramelized onions on, and drizzle with your balsamic.


Enjoy! This is great as an appetizer for a dinner party.  Or you could just eat a plate of them by yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment